Groundhogs any other day of the year are just fat, cute, mammals that don’t do a whole lot. Most people forget that there is a whole day dedicated to a single groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil until social media is flooded with his photo and his prediction of either an early spring or six more weeks of winter.
We feel there are more questions that come from Groundhog Day than answers.
1. Why a Groundhog in the first place?
2. Why is it only Canada and America that celebrate?
Follow up question, what does the rest of the world think of us for celebrating Groundhog Day?
3. Supposedly, Groundhog day has been celebrated for over a hundred years, does this mean that this Punxsutawney Phil is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchild of the original Punxsutawney or is it a democracy and all the groundhogs vote on the next one?
4.Why is Punxsutawney so hard to spell that even spell check has no idea and has no suggestions?
5. Why does the name of Punxsutawney Phil’s handlers, the Inner Circle, sound like something Sherlock Home would be investigating?
6. How do you get into the Inner Circle, and is Bill Murray automatically a part of the group?
7. Another Inner Circle question, is it a formal occasion? What’s with the top hats and fancy jackets?
8. What does Phil get out of this? Like does he get a lifetime supply of lettuce or free dental?
9. What happens to Punxsutawney Phil the rest of the year?
10. Could the next Punxsutawney Phil be a Punxsutawney Phillis or have there been Phillis’ in the past?